My sentiments about summer camp with my cousins is difficult to explain. I'll be honest, initially I was miserable. I had a very negative attitude. I didn't like the feeling of being in a camp with a bunch of strangers, I felt uncomfortable with several of the activities, and didn't prefer that particular denomination's style of doing things compared to that of the church I attend .
Yes, that is the 100%, down-to-earth truth. I'm not going to fluff it up to be something it wasn't.
But the Lord showed me some things during that experience and I grew so much. It wasn't because of the teaching or because of any other man-made design. It was because of the Holy Spirit. The Lord showed me that true growth in our Christian lives does not come from good teaching, a really good service, or really good music. YES, I believe those things certainly have a Divinely-orchestrated purpose. God uses powerful speakers, anointed musicians, and certain worship services to speak to us. There is a time and a place for all those things. However, God is not limited by those things.
During that week I learned to stay focused on Him in all circumstances. Through that process I grew. I fell more in love with Jesus as He revealed to me His heart for other people at the camp. There were so many times when I wanted to cry for someone because I could feel the Father's heart for that person. I learned more of what it means to truly intercede for people and love them as Jesus does. In addition, there is now a burning desire in my heart to pray for people. And not just for people but with them, outloud, and over them.
My flesh was challenged, but His spirit was made alive in me. I am so very thankful for the experience. By the end of the week, I learned to sit back, laugh, and watch as others played silly games I didn't want to participate in (cracking eggs that have been sitting out for five days on their heads). I learned to not get depressed and lonely when others did things that were against my personal convictions.
It's life. I am a child of God. He alone defines me. Because of that I can have total peace and joy.
No comments:
Post a Comment