Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Too Picky?

Here at school one of the most frustrating things I am having to deal with is how to turn down guys I am uninterested in. There have been several now, and with each one, I feel worse and worse about it. Some of my friends make me feel guilty about it, saying I am too "picky" and have crazy standards. But I personally think my standards are perfectly fine... Tell me if you agree.

1.) The guy has to be mature. In other words, he needs to be someone I could actually see being a leader in a family, rather an someone I would have to raise. A bit blunt, yes, but it's true.

2.) He needs to be actively pursuing the Lord. I'm sorry, but I just simply cannot waver on this one. I know I can submit to and trust the leadership of a man who is following the Lord and leaning on Him for guidance. 

3.) He needs to have common sense and discernment in making decisions. Once again, if a guy doesn't have this, how am I supposed to feel I can trust his judgement, and, consequently submit to his authority?

4.) He needs to have some ambition. In other words, what is he striving for? What are his goals? Is he willing to work hard to achieve those goals, or does he just sit there and talk about them while doing nothing? Does he do the best he can at whatever God places before him to do? Does he strive for excellence at what he does?

5.) I must feel attracted to him. Obviously. 

That pretty much sums it up, and I personally don't think it's too much to ask. However, I do realize that no one is perfect. The important thing is that he is heading in the right direction and I intend to wait on the one who is.

6 comments:

Marian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marian said...

Personally, I don't think that's being picky at all...it's just being honest. Besides, if a guy is truly the right one, God will pave the way for you and he to meet each other. :) I know of at least two happily married couples, where, in each case, the husband and wife met each other under very unlikely circumstances, so I know it can happen to anyone.

Sierra said...

I don't think that's being picky either. I think you have very reasonable, not to mention wise, standards. When the time comes for me to date, my standards will honestly be very similar. I'll be praying for you!

MacMeister said...

You definitely stick to your standards! They all are pretty Biblically based. And you can have confidence that the right guy will ask! Romans 8:28, Jeremiah 29:11 :-) Additionally, I believe that the kind of guys you want to have a relationship with will be drawn to those standards, and will strive to meet them. So don't be discouraged! Wait on the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart :-)

Ian said...

Well, personally, I think your standards might even be slightly too low...and I'm a guy...:P

The people who are trying to guilt you are being ridiculous. A real man can take a rejection - and the one who's really worth it also won't give up, no matter how long it takes for him to become the kind of person you'd be interested in (which, looking at the standards you've set, he ought to be doing anyway).

Coming to you from someone who has no personal experience with romance...

:Ian:

Kelsey said...

Oh I agree! I actually have even more extensive requirements in my journal. lol I just decided to narrow them down to the fundamental, basic things that I can't even seem to see in any of the guys that have been interested in me.

It's sad. So sad.

But, don't worry, I have no experience with romance either...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...