Am I the only one who has ever imagined what it would be like to die a martyr for Christ? Although I know it sounds like a rather morbid thing to think about, I thought about it even as a young child. I would read countless missionary stories about people who gave everything for Christ - some even unto death. It always sounded so romantic. I even went as far as to tell my parents that I wanted to be a missionary. I wanted to be abandoned to Jesus like that - and still do.
However, I would always begin wondering, "Would I actually be strong enough to stand up for Jesus if it meant death?" I didn't know. I still don't. I like to think "Oh yes, I will stand up for Christ no matter what happens! I will never deny Him!". Peter certainly felt that sort of confidence, yet He denied Jesus three times.
The truth is, many people imagine fearlessly dying for Jesus as a martyr but yet cannot die for Jesus in their daily lives. The Lord gives us countless opportunities to die everyday, yet we rarely do. How do we think we will be strong enough to stand up for Jesus in a life or death situation if we cannot die for Him in simple, everyday situations?
I was listening to a sermon by Eric Ludy a couple nights ago that described the attitudes that many of the martyrs throughout history had about losing their lives for Christ. For most of them, it was a privilege. In fact, many of them, like Peter who requested to be crucified upside down, considered themselves unworthy.
When Jesus gave His life for us, He set the ultimate example of how we are supposed to live - by daily taking up our crosses and dying for Him as He did for us. We know that. However, His example showed us not only that we should die but also how we should die.
He was oppressed and treated harshly,
yet he never said a word.
He was led like a lamb to the slaughter.
And as a sheep is silent before the shearers,
he did not open his mouth.
~Isaiah 53:7
He not only showed us that we should die to ourselves, but He also showed us the attitude we should have. When we daily lay down our personal desires, we are to do it without complaining and without giving up when other people mock us and misunderstand us. We are to consider it a blessing to be laying everything down for the Son of the Living God, the Lion of Judah, and the All-Consuming Fire.
Oh Jesus, give me the grace and strength to daily die for You as you died for me! I am unable, but through You all things are possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment