For the past few days I have been reading through the book of Daniel. Reading about Daniel's lifestyle has always fascinated and inspired me, because, oh, how I long to live a life of such dedication to Jesus!
Last night I read Daniel 6, which is the chapter on the highly familiar story of Daniel in the lion's den. While reading it I was struck by just how unmovable Daniel was in his faith toward God. When King Darius gave the irrevocable decree that whoever prays or petitions to anyone other than him will be thrown into the lions den, Daniel didn't change anything he was previously doing. Not even slightly! He was completely unshakable and would not be moved, regardless of the Earthly consequences to his actions.
"Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went home. And in his upper room, with his windows open toward Jerusalem, he knelt down on his knees three times that day, and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as was his custom since early days." ~ Daniel 6:10
I mean, honestly, if it had been me, I probably would have been like "Okay, I'll still pray, of course, but I'll do it when I lay down to sleep at night and make it less obvious the rest of the time I do it." Instead of kneeling before an open window, maybe I would have just prayed in my head so no one would know. I would have, undoubtedly, found some way to find a compromise between what I was supposed to be doing and what the culture or world was pressing me to do.
But that's just it. Compromise is not what makes a difference in the world. Compromise keeps the peace, it keeps us in a place of comfort and complacency. It offends no one, challenges no one, and makes no impact on the world. Compromise places us where we are neither doing the blatantly wrong nor living life to the fullest for God. We are not leading people away from God, but neither are we leading people closer to Him. We are not sinning, yet we are doing nothing above and beyond what we "must" do to be a Christian.
Daniel chose his path - a life of radical obedience and faith to God. And, you know what amazes me? His radical way of life made an unbelievable impact on the entire world at that time.
"Then King Darius wrote:
To all peoples, nations, and languages that dwell in all the earth:
Peace be multiplied to you.
I make a decree that in every dominion of my kingdom men must tremble and fear before the God of Daniel.
For He is the living God,
And steadfast forever;
His kingdom is the one which shall not be destroyed,
And His dominion shall endure to the end.
He delivers and rescues,
And He works signs and wonders
In heaven and on earth,
Who has delivered Daniel from the power of the lions."
~ Daniel 6:25-17
Had Daniel compromised, peace would have been held, he would not have been thrown into the lions den, and things would have gone on as normal. Things would have been a whole lot less complicated and it certainly would have saved him a lot of stress, I am sure (personally, I'd probably be scared to death!). But, had he chosen the easier path, he would not have been used as a vessel to show-forth the glory and power of the Lord.
No comments:
Post a Comment