Probably not...
Someone with a cold? That's what came to my mind.
Needless to say, there are some things that should never be judged solely by their names. Mt. Sneffels is one of them. Despite the name, climbing Mt. Sneffels was one of the craziest, most intense things I've ever attempted to do. It is fun looking back on it, but at the time I can't always say it was a pleasurable experience. With a summit Elevation of 14,150 feet and a round trip length of 6.5 miles, consisting of a 2,950 foot gain in elevation, it is definitely a bit painful.
The good news is that there are always parts of an intense hike that redeem the painful parts. The first mile or so was awesome with a beautiful waterfall, tons of colorful tundra flowers, and only a minor uphill climb. I loved it!
But that was short lived...
Unfortunately, the climb soon became more difficult. As we gained elevation, the wind picked up, the air grew thinner, and the temperature dropped. In addition, the climb up the side of the mountain was a near-vertical wall with nothing to catch your fall except whatever rocks you chose to hold onto (and choose well I did because fifty percent of the rocks were loose). My bare hands gripping the rocks became as cold as ice (a horrible experience) and half the time I wanted nothing more than to be finished with the hike for good.
Isn't that kind of how life is? We journey through all the trials and challenges of life and it's rarely easy. The thing that should keep us moving forward is the knowledge that we have a reward waiting for us in Heaven and keep our eyes steadfast upon Jesus.
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." -Hebrews 12:1
If you ask me now if I will ever attempt such a hike again, I'll most likely say no. However, ask me again later and you will probably receive an entirely different answer. When will I learn?
Believe me, it's every bit a love-hate relationship...




No comments:
Post a Comment