After three nights of camping in an unbelievably ("unbelievably" is my new, over-used word for some reason) remote area in the mountains of Nevada, my dad says thoughtfully, "I really like it here! Maybe we could stay another night or two." and then looks around at us thoughtfully.
Truth was, none of us seemed to completely share his enthusiasm. Except maybe my mom. After three nights of no showers, no cell phone service, bugs, and cold nights, Kevin and I were 100% ready to be finished camping. At least for one night. While I understand the people who enjoy camping occasionally for short periods of time, camping for an entire week is just too much for my tastes.
Thankfully my dad decided it would be best if we hit the road. After a month of traveling, I can say wholeheartedly that I am ready to go home.
A large portion of this trip has been dedicated to climbing mountain after mountain - a past time my mom and I simply do not understand. In both of our minds, all the mountains look about the same, so after you've climbed a few, it begins to get rather monotonous. Unless of course you are into that sort of thing, like my dad and brother are. I am still trying to understand, psychologically what makes such a hobby so attractive. I guess I'll never know. lol
Looking back over this month-long trip, it has gone by incredibly fast and been so much fun. I know that I will always look back over it and remember all the fun times I had with my family. Especially now that I am away from home at college the majority of the time now.
However, I have to admit that it wasn't always easy and I have been reminded of an important lesson from it all. Two weeks of this trip was spent doing practically nothing but camping and hiking mountains - two things I only enjoy when done in small amounts. To put it simply, I was reminded that it's not about me. And, in order to have fun spending time with others, I have to do things I don't necessarily enjoy (crucifying the flesh) and get my eyes off of myself. Plus, if I will get my focus off of the things I don't necessarily like, I will find just how incredibly blessed I am. And I am definitely blessed!
No comments:
Post a Comment