Monday, July 23, 2012

More Pinterest Awesomeness: Lots of Cooking

So I made the fried rice I mentioned a few posts back and it turned out pretty good actually. I can't say it comes close to comparing to the amazing fried rice at Asian restaurants, but I guess I can't complain.


One of my goals this summer has, not only been to cook more things, but also to cook things that are healthy. This weekend I decided to attempt to make my own energy bars (I was inspired by Costco's energy bars - they are amazing!). To achieve this, I adapted a couple of oatmeal cookie recipes to fit what I had in mind. These are the ingredients I ended up using. In the end they basically taste like cookies, which is pretty awesome. lol I wasn't brave enough to cut back on the sugar too much. Next time, I suppose...

1 cup of whole wheat flour of spelt (I used spelt)
1 1/2 cups of oats
2-3 scoops of vanilla protein powder
2-3 scoops of flax seeds
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Cinnamon to taste (about 1/2 tablespoons) 
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup of brown sugar (I plan to try less next time)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 egg
Vanilla to taste
Nuts and dried fruits... I used pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pecans, dried cranberries, and shredded coconut 

This week I plan on trying two new recipes... Jambalaya and a copycat version of Chili's Southwest Eggrolls. I'm pretty excited about it, I must say. All I am lacking is a few ingredients and a quick trip to the grocery store. :)

SLOW COOKER JAMBALAYA    1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut up into small pieces  1 lb andouille sausage, sliced  1 28oz can diced tomatoes with juice  1 large onion, chopped  1 large green bell pepper, chopped  1 c chopped celery  1 c chicken broth  2 tsp dried oregano  2 tsp dried parsley  2 tsp Cajun seasoning  1 tsp cayenne pepper  1/2 tsp dried thyme  1 c instant rice    1. Place all ingredients except rice in slow cooker. Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.    ...

Chili's Southwestern Eggrolls

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...